Print

Test is in November, Planning starts... NOW!

Test is in November, Planning starts... NOW!

Hi I am brand new to this site and I have read many post, but not all.  Hopefully this is a (partially) new idea to the forum.I am in my fourth year of undergrad (I switched to physics in my 4th semester, so I have catching up to do) and will be taking the tests next November.  Now for many people it may seem a bit early to start thinking about the PGRE, especially since its only spring break time.  However, I want to take a systematic approach to this test over the summer and before school starts in the fall I want to have a sound review of my previous years of physics.  I am proposing to develop a study schedule that devotes time to each subject on the test based upon the size of subject, percent of test devoted to it, and how good I am currently at it.  I will be working in the lab over the summer (no more than 40 hours a week) and I live alone, so I hope to find 10-20 hours a week max on review.  I also want to find a systematic way of memorizing the essential formulas and tricks the test will require.  I believe flash cards will be the most effective for this but is there a page/pdf that could get me some essential formulas to start with ? This is a daunting task and it would be wonderful to find a good first step.The way I compute it now, I will devote 12-13 weeks of the summer to study*15 hrs a week avg=appx. 130-150 hrs of study over the summer.  It seems a bit low honestly.  I will study in the Fall (I believe I will have 2 classes and research) but I really want a solid base in everything before school, because everyone knows how hard it can be to focus when your attention is devoted to several places.  Love to hear your informative and critical thoughts!